Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thoughts on the "emergent church" and Truth in Labeling

     For the last several years I have watched thoughtfully and, mostly quietly, as the so called 'emergent church movement' has caused ripples, then waves, even a few swells in the evangelical church in American--some in other parts of the world. I'm pushing 50 now so I've been around long enough to have seen the trends in pop cultural Christianity rise and fall with the skirt hems of the teeny boppers of our day. End times stuff has gone in and out of fashion. spiritual battle, in and out. health/wealth gospel still in, should be out...you get the picture.
      There is a lot about the mode and the mood of the emergent church movement that is refreshing. It's energy, sincerity, innovation, inclusivity, and youthful go-getterness. I also appreciate the impact some of its speakers and videographers have had on my some of my older children. It definitely speaks in the vernacular of our day. One of the videos about the feminine images of God in Scripture even seems lifted, line by line and verse by verse, from a talk I have been giving since 1991 (make no mistake, I'm sure it is not:). All truth is God's truth and the Bible is God's word.
     So what is my deal? Do I even have a 'deal'? I don't know. Well, I guess I do have a 'deal' but it's not the sort of deal that you'd think someone like me would have. I have a 'truth in labeling deal'. I like to know what's in the stuff I eat and if it's not "maple syrup" it should say "artificially flavored high fructose corn syrup" on the label.  That's right--that's my deal with the emergent church. It's just not true. It's not "emergent" at all--and it's not a "church".
     I think that when we talk about spiritual things and God things and Jesus things we should speak the truth in love and if we are going to call something by a name it should, indeed, BE  that which it represents--"emergent and church".
    We could sit and split theological hairs until we had our panties all up in a wad and all turn blue for lack of oxygen about the theology. Come to think of it, I think many of us in the church have. I think it's time to collectively breathe. For my part, after at least 10 years of observing and even being at least a small part of this movement here are my very humble thoughts:
     First, my background. My Roman Catholic heritage informs my thinking. This movement looks very familiar to me. I grew up in the Archdiocese of Detroit attending St. Aiden’s Parish in Livonia, MI. My priest at the time is now the Archbishop of Seattle, Fr. Alex J. Brunett. And I was confirmed in the faith by none other than Bishop Tomas Gumbleton. Google them. Interesting folks of historical import.  I'll come back to this in a moment.
         That is why I know this stuff is not new. This is not “emergent”. This is not a sweeping movement ushering in a great change in church history. Sure there are ebbs and flows in the tides of pop cultural christianity all the time. Those of us who have been around long enough are sea sick from the roller coaster ride of expansion and contraction as old ideas are passed off as new again  and again as yet another generation or another denomination tosses them about as new and radical ad nauseam . Whether or not the idea is meritorious in and of itself, at least properly acknowledge the historical moorings of these ideas (or “theologies/anthropologies”) and give credit where credit is due. We all stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before us, for better or for worse. We must think deeply,research thoroughly, beyond just our immediate point in history and cultural subgroup before we form our world view and then try to mass market it to others.
    The reason it  looks familiar to me is because….it is!  Strikingly so.  I've listened respectfully and carefully to the sermons, read the books. The "emergent church" is  simply Vatican II for Protestants.  Oh, yeah, five decade later!  Oh my goodness, fellas. Go get the docs. Read them. I did, in their entirety. Once when I was a sophomore in high school and then once more when I was a sophomore in College before I decided to leave the church for a more Biblically-centered faith tradition. I’ve heard you talking to each to other. I know you are sincere… you really are. But look up just a minute. 

         See yourselves and your thinking in the light of eternity and the eternal Word of God. Is there really a dichotomy between right thinking about God and right doing? Can't we have both?  Don't erect straw men. You know we can. Come on you guys:) For heaven's sake look at Amy Carmichael, Mary Slessor, Gladys Alyward, Jim and Elisabeth Elliot, Nate Saint. All gave their lives not only to share the saving grace of the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ but to also set the captives free of earthly suffering and shame as well. 
      But this movement also needs to be upfront with the rest of the evangelical church about their political intentions and affiliations. They should be honest and admit that the resulting theology is nothing other than “Liberation Theology” from way back–hmmm, let me see, well, come to think about it, I don’t know when, but it’s been around an awfully long time now. It was very popular in the '60's, pretty much the basis of the much older Jesuit movement. Which, you know it’s fine to be a Liberation theologian. Lots and lots of people are! They just need to say so and let people know with whom they hook up (like Sojourners, for instance, in some cases). I mean, come on…speak up. Just let the folks from whom you raise your money in our evangelical churches know what you stand for. You know,like the National Association of Evangelicals. You folks know you need them to fund you because that's where the money is...so tell them the truth. Truth in labeling.
    So what of the "emergent church" as I see it? Well, frankly, I don't...see anything emergent (new or emerging--it's just Vatican II for protestants) and it's not a church.  I call it a case of the Emperor-has-No-Clothes. I'm for truth in labeling. Let's call it "Vatican II Lite for Protestants/Liberation Theology Movement" and I'd be totally fine with it. I like calling things what they are. 
       But what do I know…I’m just a mom to 11 kids who stays home, bakes cookies, homeschools,stood faithfully beside her husband for years in ministry, filled the drinks of students while they talked about God, barbequed all their hot dogs, picked up their trash when they were done and prayed for them by name. I guess I'll just go back to knitting Joey's sweater now <3 This is probably the part where they say women should be seen and not heard ;)

Leave a Reply


3 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    You know I respect you and your thoughts. And you know how much I respect your experience of Christianity - given your exposure throughout the world to the cause of Christ.

    However, I feel like you may have not gone deep enough on the Emerging movement. (Although I am certainly not an apologist nor advocate of the movement,) it seems like you may be missing the root of the Emergent/Emerging.

    Sure, some of the symptoms of the Emerging Church look like things you've seen before... modernization of Vatican II, liberation theology, social gospel, or neo-mysticism. And certainly, there is much rehashing of these within the Emerging Church.

    But something that I have never seen before is Narrative Theology, and this is definitely a response to the Postmodern context. (Now, I realize that Postmodern is a buzzword that's long gone by, but the reality that people make decisions based upon values and feelings instead of rationale thought and truth is certainly the milleu of today's Western world).

    I'd love to hear your thoughts on how Narrative Theology, and how "Scripture is primary voice in the conversation", and how Vatican II, Liberation Theology, and Mysticism all dealt with the postmodern/postChristian conext. Perhaps your comments on this "root" of the Emerging Church will buy the repoire needed to continue to be an informed voice in this conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis is right that the Emerging Church is a mixed bag, both in its practices and in its teachings. I happen to think your comparison between it and Vatican II is not a bad one, at least when it comes to the more liberal-leaning elements of the Emerging church movement (at least in their theology). It seems like some of the underlying motivations behind Vatican II and the Emerging Church movement are the same. To de-emphasize certain doctrines and practices and emphasize new ones in order to appeal to the new generation. Some of this motivation is not bad. We should aways seek to be relevant to the culture within the confines of the truth of God's Word. But in some cases the Emerging Church movement gives up truth for the sake of relevancy. Conservative/Traditional Catholics would say similar things about Vatican II.

    Narrative Theology is also a mixed bag. If taken together with systematic theology is can be a helpful correction against the "getting our panties up in a wad" about every minor doctrine (as has happened in my church). I tend to agree with the assertion of Narrative Theology that the purpose of these books is not to give us a systematic presentation of truth, but to help us have an accurate and compelling picture of God and allow us to know him. That is not to take away the importance of proper systematic theology. Go wrong there and you won't be worshiping the God of the Scriptures.

    Thanks for diving into this important and difficult subject Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa-
    Appreciate your ability to make connections to other movements in history, and remind us that many things that seem new really aren’t. I would agree with you on much of that though I would say that there are real shifts happening in theology and the church today (which have deep and sometimes old roots). Within the last two hundred years we have had a much greater respect for and ability to search into the historical context, linguistic nuances, archaeological discoveries and so on which help us understand the text of the Bible better – and that cannot be underestimated nor invented. Prior to the 17/1800′s, everything in the Bible was just naively taken at face value as ‘obviously true’ because it comes from God. Today, we realize that we are dealing with historical documents written by human beings in certain contexts, politically, religiously, socially, etc, and that there were often stages of development in books in the Bible (more than one author, redactors, editors, etc.) – doesn’t necessarily make it less from God, but it does make it more complex, interesting, and less obvious as to its intent. We have also made discoveries such as the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi documents which have added much to our understanding of first century Jewish and Christian literature. Some of this stuff is actually new (new to us). Christians did not used to take seriously the Jewishness of Jesus, in fact, you could say they went out of their way to minimize that. When you read something from an Eastern, semitic point of view instead of a Western, modern, post-Enlightenment point of view, you can actually come up with very different interpretations of an apparently simple statement. To blow this off as irrelevant or unimportant I think gives little credence to the Bible. It doesn’t take it seriously. Taking it seriously means exploring it to every depth possible, even when it winds up taking us places that challenge our dearly held theological assumptions. Anything less is dishonest (or lazy).

    I am all for efforts to understand and ground the text in its context. Anyone who does the same is of interest to me, regardless of their label. It’s hard, but necessary work, and I try to do the best I can with my limited time and resources.

    To just label something as Emergent or Liberation Theology is easy, and sometimes helpful, but other times not. The Emergent Church (if there is such a thing) is a varied collection of people from all over the theological and ecclesiastical spectrum. Some I really like, others not so much. As for Liberation theology – there certainly is some overlap in newer authors I read and in my own thinking as well. My grandfather wrote a book about Liberation Theology in the 70′s.

    To just say, "Why can't people just follow the eternal Word of God" such as so and so and so, citing modern evangelicals, it itself a very modern evangelical statement wrought with assumptions.

    In the end though, I trust that we are both continually in pursuit of the truth of who God is and what it means to be a follower of Jesus, without the presumption to assume we've arrived.

    ReplyDelete